21 Nov Gas Fireplace Insert vs. Gas Fireplace
There are differences between a gas fireplace insert and a gas fireplace, and it is important to know them before you decide on having one or the other installed in your home. At Kozy Heat, we offer both gas fireplaces and the best gas fireplace insert options to provide homeowners with safe and efficient heating options for their living spaces.
Another term for the modern gas fireplace is a direct vent gas fireplace. This refers to the style of venting used with these units. Some gas fireplaces are zero-clearance fireplaces, meaning they can be installed up against combustible materials without concern for combustibility. Others are not completely zero clearance and require non-combustible facing material to be installed around the top and sides for safety.
Features of a Gas Fireplace
The various features of a gas fireplace include:
- Larger than most gas inserts and includes air space or better quality insulation around the firebox, allowing combustible material to surround it.
- Installed in a wall based on standard gas fireplace dimensions and enclosed by standard wood framing.
- Vent gas fireplaces have a coaxial direct vent system.
Gas Fireplace Insert
A gas fireplace insert is installed into an existing wood-burning, masonry fireplace and therefore is sometimes smaller in size than a gas fireplace. A fireplace insert includes a firebox about the same size as the insert itself and the ability to fill any gaps with a custom shroud. The best gas fireplace insert can produce a higher level of heat with just a click of a button.
Features of a Gas Fireplace Insert
- It can fit into almost any existing wood fireplace hole utilizing a masonry chimney
- A gas fireplace insert utilizes co-linear venting. One liner functions as the air intake and the other as the exhaust.
For information about the best gas fireplace insert and the gas fireplace units we offer, call us today at 800.253.4904, send us a message through our contact form, or locate a fireplace dealer nearest you.